Poker Crush Forums

Member Tips and Strategies - Pattern? >1 player w/pocket pairs in same hand

sunspun - 12.03.2006, 14:50
Post subject: Pattern? >1 player w/pocket pairs in same hand
Anyone else ever notice a (possible) pattern of multiple pocket pairs in a hand?
Seems like I see this often enough that I believe it must be more than just a coincidence or arbitrary fluke.
One player will have, say, pocket jacks, and within the same hand, a different player will also have a pocket pair, different value, of course.

I suppose it actually might make sense though. I'm not much good with math or figuring probabilities, etc., but it's just common sense that, given the known number of cards in a deck and always 4 of each value, that if one card shows up twice in one hand, that increases the odds of the other cards doing the same, simply because the remaining cards in the deck now consist of more of the same cards - whew, that probably didn't seem to make much sense, the way I TRIED to explain it, but maybe someone will know what I mean anyway. Didn't know how to put it exactly (obviously!).

But even if that's true, it still doesn't seem like it would be enough to notice a pattern, since for one thing, there's still all those other players' hands available for the pairs to show up in too, not just one, in which case they'd show up as not a pair, but as individual single cards, which, actually, is I guess exactly what happens the majority of the time, since it's more common NOT to have a pocket pair than to have one, so hm, maybe that does make sense after all - slightly - maybe.

Probably not to anyone who reads this and tries to figure out what I meant though!

Well, I think someone who knows this stuff could explain it in the right way and end up with the same conclusion I did, except theirs would make sense to other people, whereas I'm afraid my explanation most likely doesn't!

Anyway, just something I was curious about!

Good Luck playing, everyone!

sunspun